Sunday, September 26, 2010

Recipes for Disaster

The French say "viva la difference" and I quite agree. All efforts to define what is distinctly different between the genders always seems to make a fool out the pontificator. But, thankfully, there really is a difference. I really like my wife and my girls for reasons that they are not boys. But Stephanie said last night, "Eric is a great cook, but he never uses a recipe. That seems to be how men cook, if they like to cook."
We have a number of friends who raise their children according to recipes. They buy all the recipe books and share all their recipe secrets with each other. I know I talk like a fool but it seems like these families who have the wife as the "neck that turns the head" are recipe families.
The Apostle Paul writes, "All those who rely on the works of the law are under a curse."
I think fathers who father their families, their children by the wisdom God will give as His wisdom is humbly sought, with each child and each child's peculiar situations, tend to have better luck with their children. As the English say, "The proof of the pudding is in the taste of the pudding."
Do I speak like a fool?
Most likely.

1 comment:

  1. So, is it safe to assume that it wasn't really Carson who wrote this?

    ReplyDelete